Snoring is something that most of us do from time to time. Much of the time, snoring is nothing more than a disruptive nuisance. In some cases, however, attention must be given to this “habit.” At Smileology, we provide care that can address the issue of chronic, loud snoring. Additionally, our team has the specific training to recognize when snoring may actually be a sign that a larger problem is present.
Snoring and sleep apnea are two problems that may be easily confused. The difference between the two, however, is significant to ongoing health and wellness. Sleep apnea is classified as a sleep disorder and warrants specific treatment in order to avoid unhealthy consequences. Snoring is a problem in which airflow meets an obstacle. As air is forced over soft tissues in the throat or airway, vibration occurs. This is what causes the telltale sound of snoring.
People with sleep apnea exhibit the sounds of snoring. They are loud and often disruptive to people nearby. The difference between apnea and “just snoring” is that air flow, at some point, becomes completely blocked. While sleep may never be fully disturbed, the depth of sleep lightens as the body works to restart breathing.
- Loud snoring followed by momentary silence
- Silence is followed by a gasping or choking sound
- Sleep feels restless or fitful
- A “full night’s sleep” is not restorative and excessive drowsiness persists during the day
- Persistent irritability and moodiness
- Feelings of depression develop or worsen
- Memory and cognitive skills decline
- “Clumsy” accidents occur
The symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea need attention. This condition, if not properly treated, can have devastating effects on your health, increasing the risk for cardiovascular events and more.
At Smileology, we offer non-invasive, comfortable, and proven treatment for obstructive sleep apnea and chronic snoring. CPAP is the gold standard, but many cannot wear the CPAP comfortably. Oral appliance therapy is a wonderful alternative to those who cannot wear CPAP medical therapy, which many patients find physically or psychologically uncomfortable.
- The light, custom-fit appliance goes wherever you go, it is ideal for travel
- Sleep position is not dictated by this form of treatment
- The customized oral appliance fits discreetly into the mouth
- It is possible to speak and drink with the appliance in place
Patients in the Bluewater Bay area may visit Smileology to address chronic snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. With precise training, our team can design treatment to restore healthy sleep and a healthier YOU.